Judith Stenneken is an artist working in photography, video and installation. Predominantly, she uses book-making, photo-prints, video-installations and interactive pieces as means of expression. Born and raised in Germany, today she bases herself in New York City and Berlin.
Initially, Judith pursued a career as an assistant producer, working for advertising agencies and TV commercial production companies in Hamburg. Eventually, in 2005 she moved to Berlin to study photography.
Last Call | Zentralflughafen Tempelhof
Importantly, her first self-published book ‘Last Call | Zentralflughafen Tempelhof’ won the Grand Prize of Blurb’s Photography Book Now contest in 2010. Subsequently, the same body of work received the Young Talent Award of the F/Stop Photo Festival in Leipzig in 2009. As well as this, it also received honourable mentions from the New York Photo Festival and Hey, Hot Shot! in 2010. After this, in 2011 she was selected as one of ‘PDN’s 30 – New and Emerging Photographers to watch’.
‘In my work I use moving and still images of the journey and the voyager. I explore ‘transitory spaces’ like hotel rooms and airports as metaphors to describe transitions as the sole constant in life and in-betweenness as the true state of being. The concepts of departure and arrival dissolve as the traveler keeps moving – a gravity to constant change. The voyager’s home becomes the hotel room, the airplane, and at times the airport. Spaces to pause, never to dwell.’
Key factsView CV
- MFA in Photography, Video and Related Media from the School of Visual Arts, New York (2013)
- New and Emerging Photographers to Watch in 2011
- Grand Prize Winner for ‘Last Call’, Photography Book Now, Blurb (2010)
- International Young Talent Award, F/Stop 3rd International Photography Festival (2009)
- Solo and group shows include ‘Denn Bleiben ist nirgends’, Galerie f5,6 (Munich, 2016); Together, art:i:curate (New York, 2015); ‘Guest Room’, Der Greif in collaboration with Galerie f5,6 (Munich, 2015); ‘A Survey Of Documentary Styles In Early 21st Century Photobooks’, PHOTOVILLE (New York, 2013); ‘Last Call’, Galerie Gebrueder Marten (Leipzig, 2011)
Untitled #40 (Dancer in Cell/Main Hall/Duty Free/Waiting), 2016
Archival pigment print on Hahnmuehle paper
73 x 91cm
Untitled #44 (Dancer in ‘Air Base 1’), 2016
Archival pigment print on Hahnmuehle Paper
61 x 91cm